Friday, January 25, 2013

DAY EIGHTEEN - What Makes You Beautiful

 Alternate Title: Happy Birthday Ava




Today was not just about 28 to Great. Today my oldest daughter Ava turned twelve. I seriously cannot believe I have a twelve year old and that I like her so much.



On my twelfth Birthday, my wonderful mother took me on a day of beauty. We went to a half day seminar with Estee Lauder that included a "luncheon". I learned all about skin care and make-up application and felt very grown up and important. In retrospect I realize that my tricky mother was ensuring that I learned how not to cake on the make-up and look like a teenage hussy. It worked too. I felt like quite the expert and wanted to emulate Paulina Porizkova, who only looked fresh and pretty. 

In case you think my mother was shallow or vain, you should know that she spent the first 11 ¾ years of my life- and all of the years since, pouring into my character, and my soul. But that birthday sure was fun. 

So, in an attempt to recapture the magic of this experience, I took Ava out of school today because I’d decided we’d have a girly day. We went to Sephora and tried on all kinds of make-up. In the end she chose a light pink sparkly eyeshadow and some pretty lip gloss (whew).
 
 Next we went out to lunch and while we ate she asked me about this “diet” I’m on. I thought it was a good opportunity for a conversation -
and I also kind of figured Sadie would be proud of me for reeling in another convert. ;)
 

I told her, that as much as I joke about my skinny jeans, that what I really care about is taking care of my body. In my mom’s words, "being a good steward of this gift God has given me". Ava has had type
1 diabetes since she was five, so she already has a pretty good grasp on how what you eat affects your body. So I told her that the the challenge was about eating food that would make you feel good and help make you strong, to fight anything else that might come. And about figuring out how to make meals delicious and celebratory and also really, really good for you. Its about doing exercises that keep you strong and tall for your whole life. 


We also talked about how being beautiful doesn’t start with sparkly eyeshadow or a skinny body. I love how Audrey Hepburn puts it.
 

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness.
For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.
For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.
For beautiful hair, let a child run his or her fingers through it once a day.
For poise, walk with the knowledge you'll never walk alone.


oxoxoxox

Missy







9 comments:

  1. and the mom of the year award goes to....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me 5 tries to get the captcha right on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful day you had-such a beautiful memory and lesson your daughter will take with her into life! Amber

    ReplyDelete
  4. You brought back so many memories! How did you grow up so fast? Not Ava! You my girl are a young woman I am so proud of! And Ava? The beautiful reflection of her Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are the epitome of Ms. Hepburn's verse. And, you're teaching Ava to be the same. Neither of you will ever walk alone.

    ReplyDelete