Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Day TWO - I actually may live through this!

 Alternate title: The Art of Winning

Ok, I know what you were thinking when it took me all day to post. "Lame!! What a loser! She gave up already!! I guess I'll give up too!" Well not so fast people. Believe me, I'm more surprised than anyone about how today went.

But first let's talk about yesterday. Yesterday was HARD. I was hungry and headachey and may or may not have been really crabby to the prisoners. I was so out of it that I didn't take a picture of my dinner, which was probably for the best since I just baked some chicken, made a little brown rice and then braised some bok choy.

Anyway I went to bed a little moody and dreading the next day, but the crazy thing was, I slept great. Like, the best I've slept in a long time. And when I woke up I seriously felt like a million bucks. So I decided to change it up a little. I had my coffee first, but no breakfast. I know what you're thinking. REBEL. I was in such a good mood that the prisoners kept looking at me warily, like maybe I was finally losing my marbles. But I wasn't, I was WINNING. I ran to the mirror to see if I had gotten the "glow" early. No such luck, but even that didn't dampen my mood.

Then, around 9:30 I had a bite of one of those Barre3 "barres" and a big glass of water and got ready to do my Barre3. The bad news is, I have already lost the booklet that came in my 28 to Great packet, but there is a potential silver lining and it's a two-parter:

 1. My husband says I'm notorious for losing things within seconds of ownership, and yet I had somehow managed to keep this booklet for 2 1/2 days - unscathed.  Brilliant.

2. Barre3 has a sample workout chart on their website so I was totally able to follow it instead (Sadie, if you're reading send me another booklet. I'll tell my husband I found mine and we'll prove him wrong and then we'll both be WINNING).
 
Today it was "Burner with Sadie". It's that one with the two stunning cheerleader/Barre3 franchise partners. They are very beautiful, but honestly they make it look way too easy. When Sadie invites me to be in one of her videos (what?? It could totally happen), I will not try to make it look easy. I will do just what I do in my living room. I will yelp and moan and beg Sadie to not make us do those last little pulses. I think it would make for a fun change.

Here is what I had for lunch:
(pictured above)Last night's chicken mixed up with cucumbers, bell peppers, apples and some green olives (pictured above). It totally hit the spot.

Afterward, I had so much energy (which is not like me in the afternoon) that I flew around my house like a whirling dervish cleaning and organizing. It was like a miracle. Fact: not only am I usually a bit sluggish, I am also a terrible housekeeper.

Fast forward to dinner. I had a plan all ready from Sadie and Andrea's menu, but then my husband threw the wrench in it - clearly to pay me back for my carelessness of losing the Barre3 booklet. He wanted sushi.

The conversation went something like this:

Me: uh, I'm going to have to call Sadie about that one, baby.  I'm pretty sure sushi's a big FAT no-no.

My Husband: Sadie won't care "Baby"... and besides, you don't even have her number. Now c'mon... let's go.


Me: No, "BABY." Absolutely not.  That's final.

Normally I would have been really angry on the car ride to sushi - but I was feeling good from all the "winning" moments I'd accumulated throughout the day.   When I sat down and looked at the menu I asked myself: WWSD?
She came to me in the form of a vision and told me to order the following:




Seaweed cucumber salad and salmon sashimi (pictured above). It was soooooo good. And I drank water with it. Instead of the lovely dry sake my husband drank. And guess what?  It was delicious.

After I post this I'm headed off to bed. How did you guys do? Got any tips for me?

11 comments:

  1. You're awesome and I'm right there with you. I had to start doing my workouts in private as my twins are almost two and like to repeat every single word I say... so when a little F bomb or two slips out as Sadie cheerfully says "just five more", it doesn't become the new household catch-phrase. Make the "donut holes" from the blog. They're amazing.

    In this with you!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh MY WORD. Jenn, we were meant to be friends. That just CRACKED me up. Don't leave me.

      Delete
    2. Agreed!!!

      We went to a concert last night at a venue known for it's array of beers. I snarkily (yep, I'm standing by that word choice) ordered a club soda with a twist. It was actually really nice! I didn't even miss the Grey Goose. This challenge is a fabulous lesson in "you never know until you try".

      Today I made the rice and beans recipe from the blog. So good! Super filling though... definitely will do it for dinner in the future.

      Delete
  2. I'm so loving this blog! Also doing the challenge, though with the huge advantage of being local so I get to moan and groan with 20 other women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your posts! Keep it up - if for no other reason than to entertain the rest of us going through 28 to Great!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Katie. How are you finding the fourth day?

      Delete
  3. I am so happy to have found your blog! Your posts are hilariously inspiring. I started 28 to Great on Monday. I've been doing Barre3 in studio for a while, so it is more the diet (and finding time to prepare food rather than microwave boxes) than the exericse that is hard for me so far, although it is easy to make bold statements like that on day 3 - I'm sure by Sunday I won't be able to walk. I'm suffering the caffeine headaches, and although the eating is going OK, I'm so full I'm wondering if I'm eating to much? Or maybe it is these ground flax seeds I'm putting in everything, per Sadie. What exactly are flax seeds? Who knows. (it made me laugh so much that you used your food processor for the first time. I actually had to purchase a magic bullet, I didn't even own a processor).
    I'm also particularly worried I will pour and drink a glass of wine out of sheer habit without even noticing... So far so good though.
    Good luck to you and keep up the posts please! It is nice not to be alone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been hungry a little. Maybe I need more flax seeds, whatever the heck they are! I almost "accidentally" poured myself some wine on the first night, but caught myself. New habits will be good. Thanks for commenting! Its nice not to feel all alone on the world wide web.

      Delete
  4. Missy, I think I owe you (how about some chocolate and wine?). Thank you for introducing me to Barre3. I was really frustrated at the end of 2012 because my new year's resolution was again to eat less, lose weight and exercise more (I am on the treadmill every day, but my pounds have never been impressed with that, needed to add other types of exercise). So when I read your post on Sunday night I decided to jump on board, signed up for the 28 to great challenge and started Monday morning (unlike you, I was not able to finish all the bottles of wine in my house, since I probably would have died of alcohol poisoning...). Anyway, thanks for inspiring me. So far so good. I love the diet (not hungry at all, may be I am eating too much of the good stuff?) and the online workouts. Looking forward to following your funny posts! Susanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited you're doing it with us. Its so fun to get feedback from other people in the same situation. Miss you!!

      Delete