Thursday, January 24, 2013

DAY SEVENTEEN - Know Your Audience

 Alternate Title- Please Don't Make Me Sneeze

I woke today fairly ready to meet the day. I mean, no matter what happens I’m probably never going to be a morning person, but I have been finding myself more and more determined to do - if nothing else - a little bit better than the day before.

Today I had Violet’s two friends Otto and Chloe over to play. They are hilarious together and if you haven’t seen their first tap dancing class from Day Twelve, I highly recommend it. Tip: it seems to only work if you’re watching it on a computer

It gave me an idea. I would try to teach them a barre3 class.  Yeah, brilliant, right?

Wrongo.

At first they were very game. I showed them how to begin in primary posture and it was at this moment I should have known that this was not going to be a good idea.  To say things went downhill from there would be putting it kindly.

Chloe: Auntie LOOK. I'm standing up TALL.

Otto: No! Me!! I'm STANDING UP UP UP. 

They begin bumping into each other, both trying to stand up the tallest. Otto trips over Violet who is ignoring me and looking at something very fascinating between her toes. Next thing you know they are a wriggling heap of giggles and pokes and...


Have you ever heard the expression “it was like herding cats?” Well that would have been easy compared to this. Eventually I just gave up and turned on Disney’s Dance Central and laughed as they boogied their little booties off. If you’re wondering why I don’t have pictures of this, then you have never watched three crazy three year olds by yourself.

During nap time I was able to complete my “Burner with Sadie”.  It is aptly named. In fact, I don’t think it would be inappropriate for sweet Sadie to have horns and a pitchfork for this class (ironically, there’s serious burning going on as well).  But again, I do notice, myself doing much better at this class than the first time I did it two weeks ago.

As far as the meals, I had been finding myself skipping lunch because I would run out of time. Christy gave me a great idea to fix this:

Drink the usual coffee when I get up. Then around 10 am, I eat eggs on a bunch of vegetables. Right before I head out the door to pick up the kids at 3:30, I quickly down the yogurt berry almond bowl. I tried this out today and it seemed to work very well. For dinner I made a coconut milk lemongrass chicken, with a Thai sauce I found at Whole Foods. I also braised some bok choy and gave my family some rice to go with it.

Oh, and for those of you who are wondering if three separate ten minute workouts in one day can be effective, well, let me just put it this way. I sneezed this morning and almost burst into tears. Yeah, that’s how sore my abs are from yesterday.  Do any of you have a favorite online workout I should know about?

oxoxoxox
Missy

3 comments:

  1. If anything, you KNOW your audience. I'm HOOKED.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Missy- I just wanted to thank you for blogging about this challenge! I just finished my 1st week and you have kept me motivated as well as smiling :) I've been doing Barre 3 now online for a year and one of my favorite workouts is 40 min Balance with Sadie(however your butt and thighs will be aching!). Thanks again, look forward to hearing about your next day of the challenge! Off to take care of my 5 "prisoners" as my 17 yo refers to herself and fellow siblings as well! Amber Thorpe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your closing comment here! You just gave me an idea. Why do 3 separate 10minute workouts make it difficult to sneeze? Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete