Friday, January 11, 2013

DAY FOUR - Expect the Unexpected


Alternate Title: Always Stash Food in Your Purse

Ever have a day go exactly the opposite of how you planned it?  Well, that was my day today. I'll spare you the long story, but basically the Barre3 online class that I meant to do at 9:00am, didn't even happen til' around 5pm-ish.  If you have kids then you know that this is not the most peaceful time in your home.  But I knew you guys were doing it so I couldn't just give myself a pass. Thanks for that. I think.

Who did "Shape with Sadie" today? It’s brutally hard, but seriously, so good. First of all, I would like to give a big shout out to Jenny, who did all of the modified postures. I am so thankful because without her I wouldn’t have finished today's class and might’ve even ended up in the ER.  Second, I just have to say, that as tired and sore as I am, I actually don't feel like giving up and I attribute this to the teaching style at Barre3. They are so good at giving options for every fitness or age level. But my favorite today was, what I'm going to call: The Two Sides of Sadie. I like them both and in a way it sums up why I chose 28toGreat.

Sophisticated Sadie says: Even though you're moving in a very refined, sophisticated way, you're also moving with incredible detail and integrity.

Beverly Hillbilly, Sadie says: Lift those toes! See if you can really weight those heels. Imagine you're dunking your butt in a bucket...

This totally cracks me up and makes me want to be her BFF 


Okay, let’s move on to the food. Now I know a lot of you are giving up coffee for green tea, but I'm not there just yet so, STOP JUDGING ME :)  At this point of my life, it’s working for me to start the day with coffee and then mid-morning I’ll have breakfast. A late lunch around 2:45pm-ish.  Around 7pm, it’s dinner time... then I’ll have a sweet something before bed. Those dark chocolate doughnut holes are the perfect reward for surviving the day.


Today I wound up not having time for breakfast and I drove around famished! I know, BAD, but I still avoided any drive-thru's by sheer force of will. Word to the wise: Always keep something in your purse for emergencies. So before I picked up my daughters from school, I raced home and threw the following together:

Sadie's DIY bowl
Veggies/Fruit: Steamed Kale.  Avocado
Protein: Beans
Whole Grains: Quinoa
Healthy Fats: drizzle 2 TBS olive oil with a pinch of sea salt.

I actually used brown rice, because that's what I had on hand. You don't get a picture, because I was hoovering it while simultaneously, throwing a pork shoulder in the oven and running right back out the door. But it was really good.

After my workout I was making dinner and I was over totally over water.  Shhhh, don’t tell Sadie, but I was actually more in the mood for was a nice chilled, oaky Chardonnay, but that ain’t happening for us right now, is it?  But guess what came to my rescue?  Hmmmmm?




Yep, Kombucha! C’mon, say it with me in your best Sofia Vegara accent.  Seriously, do it. Now I’d never had this Kombucha before, but I’ve seen friends make their own and... BLECH. I don't know why, but even the word scoby summons my gagging reflexes. Point is, my good friend Alexine who writes the blog: Eating For Healing http://eatingforhealing.blogspot.com/ was telling me how great it is AND it's low in sugar, but only if you get the right one, so be sure to check the label. This turned out to be a big win.  On a side note, Alexine recently decided to join us on our challenge! YAY.  Who knows, I may even pull her in for a guest blog :)

For dinner I had the pork roast that was in the oven all afternoon.  It looked like this:


I made it with an organic gluten free sauce and I was very careful to only have the right portion as directed.  

But my favorite part of the dinner was this:
This is the Ginger Veggie Stir Fry from Barre3.  Recipe found here:
http://blog.barre3.com/2013/01/08/28-to-great-recipe-ginger-veggie-stir-fry/
I used whatever veggies I had in the house and I'm not kidding. It was so delicious. And my girls devoured it.

So here we are at the end of Day Four! Please tell me you're still with me! I'd love to hear your stories.  For any of you who have dropped out and are still reading, I would love to hear your stories too, but not until day 29!

8 comments:

  1. Hahahaha @hoovering. Definitely going to be my word of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pork and stir fry looks a.mazing!!

    Still with it! Yesterday was really hard - hard day at work and all I wanted was a glass of wine, some spaghetti and bed - but instead I had some left over veggie/quinoa soup from the night before, did Shape with Sadie, had zero wine, and felt 100% better for it.

    Hopefully this will start to feel easier?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a champ. And boy do I relate to that feeling. I've never done anything like this before, but my friend Christy assures me that it WILL start to be easier. If she is wrong you can help me think of a way to punish her. Was the soup good? I was thinking about trying to make it today or tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. I had the wine struggle yesterday as well. Tough stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a glass of komucha instead of wine the other night as well. It sort of did the trick, but who am I kidding? That pork roast looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh. I just looked you up, spent an hour reading your blog and am frankly a little starstruck. Thank you so much for even reading. Are you doing the challenge?

      Delete
  5. I failed the wine challenge on day 3, but got back on my horse...hopefully all the fab recipes we have been trying and enjoying will make up for that little (okay big) slip-up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Sadie did say we should save the wine for a "special occasion" and I'm sure it was!! Good job not giving up.

      Delete