Monday, January 7, 2013

Day ONE - Hope and Change (and I mean it this time)

Alternate Title: That second bottle of wine may have been a mistake...

Well, I am half way through day one and so far, not so bad. For any of you who are starting a day or two late, learn from me, it is actually not a good idea to finish off the all the wine in your house the night before. Today was also the first day my kids went back to school so my pounding head made it super fun. Getting us all up and out the door was not pretty.
Here's what I had for breakfast:
(Full fat plain Greek yogurt with some sliced almonds and some pomegranate seeds. And one cup of coffee with frothed organic half and half.) It was my first time having full fat yogurt and I was surprised how filling it was.

After I dropped the prisoners off at school (my brother calls them prisoners because he thinks we are too strict, but they have a good life, trust me), I drove to the beach to meet my lovely and ever optimistic friend Christy for our walk. We did a 30 minute brisk walk as directed by the new queen of our universe Sadie Lincoln. It definitely helps having someone with you. We chatted the whole time. Fine, there was some shortness of breath, but we gasped out a conversation that went something like this:

Christy: This is going to be SO awesome!

Me:(saying) I know, I am so ready for this! (thinking) Someone PLEASE KILL ME.

Here's the thing, Christy is the one who introduced me to Barre3. She has done this challenge once before, so she had lots of encouraging information.

Me: So, do you think I'll lose ten pounds by the end of this week?

Christy: Well... here's what I remember. Within a few days we will have more energy. Then around week two our skin will start to GLOW.

Me: (picturing myself dazzling everyone as I pick my kids up from school with NO make-up on)

Christy: and THEN our poops will become very regular and be the exact shape and consistency that would make Dr. Oz BEAM with pride.

Me: Well...that will be... (note to self, need to breathe)... maybe we should talk when we're done.

Next, I came home to do the online workout. It went pretty well- lots of "shakes and quakes". These are what the Barre3 girls call it when your legs quiver uncontrollably and make you squeal, with pain- but "good pain" is what they call it. Well I can say for fact that there is no such thing as "good" pain. Not for me and not today.  It's all bad, bad, and, for lack of a better adjective... bad. It would've gone even better if Violet, my three year old wasn't either mocking me (with impeccable form, I might add), or attempting to climb on  me. My husband even came in the room at one point, burst out laughing and offered to video it. I made it VERY clear that any videos of me working out would put our marriage in jeopardy. That's one of the best things about the online classes. No public humiliation ;)

Here's what I had for lunch:
Lettuce, bell peppers, avocado with olive oil, salt and pepper and a scrambled egg on top. I put it all on a little plate, just like we're supposed to. I'm still a little hungry, but its no wonder with all the crap I've been eating...

So, all in all I'm pretty encouraged by day one so far. I do have a headache, but to be fair its probably more from all the bad things I ate (and drank) yesterday. I would LOVE comments, questions or your first day experiences!


11 comments:

  1. I can't believe you are really giving up wine (I was about to join the challenge with you, until I read that part). After having gone without it for 3 months (and lost a TON of weight), I'm now making up for it and drinking way more than I did before. Just on principal. Because I can.

    It's very doubtful you looked anything but elegant and lovely (and maybe a bit glowy) while doing your excersises.

    Cheers - I'm drinking a toast to your success!;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure you're doing 365 days to AMAZING. As soon as I get some followers I'm going to post about your blog. xoxoxoxoxo

      Delete
  2. I just started today too! Thank you so much for writing about your experience - it will definitely motivate me as we go through this! I'm excited and nervous...I am an epic "starter" of these plans (especially around the new year), and then don't follow through and get discouraged. But I feel like this is so do-able, I'll actually stick with it. So exciting! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm an "epic starter" too!! We are in this together.

      Delete
  3. I've bookmarked your blog to inspire me as I go through the challenge as well! I have two international trips during the 28 days so this will definitely be a trial! Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm reading along :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! 2 international trips. I can't believe you're still doing it. I'm impressed.

      Delete
  4. Just bookmarked your blog! Looking forward to the glow and energy as I do this too. I will read on....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Its so much better to suffer, I mean GLOW with other people! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Missy! I am SO happy you are documenting your journey. Your writing is fabulous and very entertaining! Team barre3 is 100% behind you and know that glow is right around the corner. Keep up the good work!

    Amy Leclerc

    ReplyDelete