Wednesday, January 16, 2013

DAY NINE - Sadie vs Paula

Alternate Title: The Temptation of Missy

I'm not going to lie to you. Going from eating and drinking all kinds of crap while lying around watching Food Network (ok and maybe one or two Real Housewives marathons), straight into an entire new way of eating and exercising has been great. Did I say great? I meant exhausting and hard... and it’s really not easy to fit everything into one day.

Now, if I haven't mentioned it before, I am not a morning person. I always thought I was destined to be one of those women in a Jane Austen novel, no, not the poor ones, but the ones who go to fancy balls really late and then lie in bed until someone brings them a pot of chocolate.

Sadly, this is not my story.

I knew it would be a really crazy day scheduling-wise and so I decided to start my workout at 5am, which is something that would've been completely and utterly impossible just ten days ago (eeeek, does this mean change is sneaking in?).

So I stumbled downstairs, set myself up and blearily started following Sadie. It was actually pretty nice to do it in a quiet house, and I wasn't really awake enough to take in how much it hurt. I was just about finished with the floor work, when I heard a noise and looked up to see all three of my children staring at me.  Like my hair was on fire. 
Violet- 3 months,  my brother and I refer to pictures like this as paparazzi shots. Like the camera surprised them, doing something unsavory.



I sipped coffee while racing around to get them ready. Then I dropped them at school before meeting Christy at our Young At Art workshop. This is a thing they do once a month where different volunteer parents go and learn an Art project so that they can go back and teach it to their kid's class. It's actually really cool and I love doing it, even though I’m a terrible artist.
The food was a different story all together.  Just so you'd have an idea of what I was up against, I took a picture:


I was seriously drooling just looking at all of it - and yes there were also a few little egg dishes scattered here and there. But all I could smell was BREAD. I was like Elmer Fudd when he sees Daffy Duck talking and all he can see is a roast going round and round on a spit.

Next thing you know, Paula Deen appears on my left shoulder. She has red horns and a pitch fork with several donuts on each tine.  Paula picks them off one by one and ironically, speaks with her mouth full.

Bad Paula: Mmmm, won't you just look at that bread?  Oh myyyy word... Why I bet it tastes just scrumptious. You should have some darlin’.

Then suddenly Good Sadie appears on my other shoulder.

Good Sadie: Don't listen to her Missy. She doesn't care about your skinny jeans.

Bad Paula: I wouldn't pay any mind to that little teeny-tiny squirt. She wouldn’t know fun if it filled up a pie tin and hit her in the face.

Good Sadie: Why I oughtta...!

Bad Paula: Oughta what?! Don’t make me come over there and rip off your wings!

Good Sadie: Oh pulheeeease.  I really don't have time for this.
Tiny Sadie grabs a lock of my hair and swiiiiiiings over to the other side, feet out and KNOCKS little Paula off of my shoulder and into a bundt cake. She’s stuck.  

Score one for the girl with the rock solid core. I’ll stick with her.

Me: Bye Paula (see you on my next cheat day!!).

So this was all I took off that table:


 The rest of my day involved even more running around so I was on a calorie burning bender. I had no time to stop so I ran through the In ‘N Out drive-thru and got a double double lettuce wrapped with no cheese. I would like to tell you that I found us a fabulous new option... But an In ‘N Out burger has no business not having cheese on it. Let alone no bun. It was kind of gross. But I ate most of it anyway.



Once my errands and meetings were done, I ran home threw some chicken in the crockpot, then raced to the school just in time to help drive the soccer team to their game. Watched the game. Nearly froze to death. Drove home.


By the time I got home I was BEAT, and boy was I glad I’d already done my Barre3 class for the day.  This is what I had for dinner. Its simple to make, but also really yummy. It’s even better with cheese. Can you tell I’m really missing cheese today, I may even miss it more than wine.

Anyhoo here’s a pic:


Missy’s fabulous Crockpot Mexican Chicken

-Take 4-6 chicken breast and toss em in the crockpot.
-Season them with a little salt and pepper.
-Dump a jar of Salsa Verde on top (make sure you roll the r in verde very dramatically, it makes it more fun).
-Put the crockpot on high for about four hours.
-Pull it out and shred it up.
-Serve it on a bed of raw cabbage

Top it off by squeezing a little lime on it. Slice up some avocado and serve it on the side
Maybe also some greek yogurt mixed with your favorite hot sauce.

So that's day nine. By the time you read this we will already be in double digits. Woooo hoooo!!
oxoxox Missy 

P.S. I LOOOOOOVE Paula Deen. Love her. Here's a pic of her with my two oldest, Ava and Vivi.



12 comments:

  1. I am officially your #1 fan. P.S. I LOVE Paula Deen too. Shhh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very funny. "Good Sadie"... hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO entertaining! Lovin' this daily dose of humor! I'm definitely going to try Missy's Mexican Chicken, sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't stopping laughing when I read these - following along with your blog while doing the 28 to great - its so spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! One thing Paula and Sadie have in common is southern charm...even though Sadie is from Oregon...which is only south of Washington, but you know what I mean...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog has been so fun to read! I am a huge fan! Keep it up! You are keeping me laughing all the way through the 28 to Great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving your blog already and I'm laughing because I have the same exact well almost conversation in my head when I was walking down the buffet line at yaaa thinking to myself ohh my gosh somebody's going to hear me speaking out loud in a minute think I'm nuts . I'm inspired I'm so trying that crock pot chicken tonight it sounds perfect I wish I had your number I want to call you I went to the website that Christy s ent out and it's the basic website I still need to figure out how to get how to get going with this I'm excited about giving it a try . forgive me this is voice to text can you tell ? see you at school keep up your blogging you're awesome ...andrea

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1 more thing Wow when did you guys meet Paula Dean that is so cool I'm a huge Food Network fan too 1 of my ideas of heaven is Paula Dean s recipes but no calories

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so happy you're joining us. Check out blog.barre3.com I think you can order the kit, sign up for the online classes and that's where the recipes are too. :)

    My husband works on Master Chef and she was one of the guests last year. She is sooooo nice. Even Violet let Paula hold her, about 10 seconds after meeting her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's a serious question: Raw Cabbage ... how edible is it really? I have major issues with raw cabbage and am not sure it's ok outside of cole slaw??? Is it a big part of 28toGreat or could you use romaine or spinach just as easily?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Annie, you can totally use any of those other greens. The raw cabbage was my personal choice. And its funny, because I hate coleslaw, but I love raw cabbage like this. When you put the hot chicken on top it softens it a little. But you don't have to even eat it ONCE if you don't want to. Sadie is big on making this whole program your own, so you'll keep doing it.

    ReplyDelete